Your webcam does not work with Discord? Try that
Discord is a great resource for gamers around the world. You can talk to your friends, create chats, and stream it all in one place.
If your webcam doesn’t work with Discord, you’re limited to what you can do on the app. Contrary to what you might think, your webcam issues may not be hardware related. There are a few simple things you can try to get the app to recognize your webcam.
Read on for tips, tricks, and solutions that will get your webcam up and running in no time. Note that most of these issues stem from software bugs or a lack of updates.
There are rare cases of hardware-related issues, so be sure to test your webcam for visible damage.
Before we dive into the possible solutions, let’s take a moment to make sure your equipment is working properly. A few minutes of troubleshooting can save you a headache down the road. Basically what we’re trying to do first is to narrow down the root cause of your camera issues.
Here’s a list of things you’ll want to check out first:
- Does your webcam work with other applications? – To quickly narrow down the problem, open another app on your device and see if the webcam is working properly. If other apps can’t find your webcam, start with your system settings and perform a system update if possible. Then try the webcam again.
- Is your internet connection working? – If you are trying to broadcast live and your webcam is having issues, the root cause may be internet connectivity. Run a speed test to make sure your internet connection is both fast and strong.
- Is Discord having issues? – It doesn’t get much more maddening than when you went through a million solutions to find that the app you’re using is crashing system-wide. Check the DownDetector website first for similar complaints.
- Have you tried a restart? – Whenever you are having trouble with Discord or your webcam, it’s always a good idea to restart your computer and Discord. This simple solution is often the only solution you need.
- Is everything up to date? – Obsolete software can cause problems. Regardless of your operating system, check for updates. Also, is the Discord app or web browser you are using outdated?
- Are your USB ports working? – If you are using an external webcam, try plugging it into another USB port on your computer. The problem can be as simple as a non-functioning port.
The majority of the solutions are easy to spot once you’ve gone through the list above. Even still, you might need more help to narrow down the problem and ultimately the solution. If Discord isn’t down, your internet connection is working, and your webcam is working fine with other apps, keep reading.
Even if you need to update your webcam drivers regularly anyway, here are some specific fixes that may resolve your issue on Discord. Start by changing the method you use Discord. So if you are using the browser version, download Discord for your device, and vice versa.
Uninstall Discord and Camera
Whether it’s outdated drivers or outdated software, a quick uninstall and reinstall can solve many problems. You can uninstall Discord from your computer and reinstall it using the link above. Additionally, the official Discord team suggests removing your webcam from your device manager.
When you remove your camera, you can easily reinstall it. Follow the instructions:
- Open Device Manager on your computer.
- Find your webcam, right click and select Uninstall device.
- Your camera will be deleted from your computer. Disconnect it and reconnect it. Follow the configuration as you did before.
Try to use your webcam again in Discord. The complete reinstallation should do the trick for the Discord part. If the problem persists, continue to apply general fixes until your webcam starts working again.
Enable app permissions
Similar to your cell phone or tablet, Discord may just need permission to access your system’s camera. To enable permissions (or verify that they are already enabled), follow these steps:
Using the Win + I keyboard shortcut, open your system settings. Click on Devices or just type App permissions in the search bar and click on your camera option. Scroll down in the right pane and turn on the Discord option if you haven’t already.
If you’re using a Mac, go to System Preferences (click the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen) and click Security and confidentiality. Next, verify that Discord has access to your camera. If the box next to Discord is unchecked, click the lock icon in the lower left corner. Then check the box next to Discord to allow access to the camera.
If the permissions were already enabled, don’t worry. We have more fixes below.
General webcam fixes
After making sure that your webcam is not damaged, test it with another app that requires a camera. Best for testing is the built-in camera app. Follow the instructions to quickly check your camera on a Windows computer:
- Make sure you’ve properly connected your camera, unless you have a built-in laptop webcam.
- Press the Win key on your keyboard and find the Camera app in the Start menu.
- Select the Camera app and it will start automatically.
- If the camera app is working, your problem is with Discord.
- If your camera isn’t working, you’ll see a screen like this:
Listen to Windows and turn off any antivirus software that might be preventing your camera from recording. If your camera is properly connected and nothing is blocking it, it may need a driver update.
Update the webcam driver
Updating the webcam driver is a walk in the park on a Windows computer with an internet connection. You can obtain the update manually, using Device Manager:
- Press the Win key on your keyboard.
- Enter Device Manager in the search field and select the app in question.
- Find your camera in the device list
- Right click on the name of your webcam and select the Update Driver option.
- Let your computer check for automated updates.
You can use a third party app for updates if needed. Note that most of them are not free. These programs automatically check for updates and let you update all of your drivers with a single click. While not free, the best options among them are well worth the price.
You can also use Auslogics to perform a one-time driver update for free. Each subsequent driver update will take longer, extending the wait time for updates. It’s not perfect, but at least you can use it for free.
Update graphics driver
You can also try resetting your computer after updating the driver. If updating your camera driver doesn’t help, updating the GPU maybe will.
Your graphics card is responsible for displaying the image on your computer screen, so it makes sense that it could be responsible for any visual glitches or glitches.
If you are an NVIDIA user, visit the official download page, select your graphics card series, operating system, etc. and download the latest update. If you use AMD graphics, visit their official drivers and support page. There you can select your graphics card and get the update you need.
Of course, you can also use dedicated graphics software from Radeon or NVIDIA, which will automatically update your graphics drivers. The choice is yours; manual and automated updates work flawlessly.
Disable hardware acceleration
Hardware acceleration is a feature that routes certain tasks to your GPU to improve performance. However, some users have found that this causes issues with their webcam. If none of the other options listed above worked for you, try this:
Open the Settings in Discord by clicking on the settings cog at the bottom (next to your username). Then click Appearance. Then scroll down and turn off the hardware acceleration option.
Now recheck your webcam.
These are the best solutions you can use to fix your webcam issues on Discord. Make sure to check if your webcam works in other apps before drawing any conclusions. If none of the above worked for you, consider restarting or updating your system.
If you are using an external camera, try unplugging it from the USB port, then plugging it back in. If the connection is bad, it may help.
System updates are essential, as are individual driver updates. Keep your drivers up to date and all of your devices should be working fine. Did any of these methods help bring your webcam back to life? Was it a hardware or software problem? Please feel free to leave a comment below in the comments section.