Poly Studio P5 review: Webcam that keeps your image in any video meeting
2020 was the year when the world witnessed one of the major threats, called pandemic, which even persists. People have been forced to stay home for their own safety and that of society as well. So there was no other option for companies to adopt the work-from-home model wherever possible. This scenario triggers a massive demand for the PC accessories required for WFH, including headsets and standard webcams. I agree that there were also other products like keyboard, mouse, etc. To meet the requirement, all existing players and other capable companies have pitched in. They have tried, rather try to offer the best product possible, with cutting edge technologies and more.
Poly, with all its expertise in providing professional solutions, has brought several Work From Home PC accessories to its fans spread all over the world. The Poly Studio P5 webcam is one such solution. It is available in India along with other professional webcams and headsets. In India, the Poly Studio P5 webcam costs INR 8,610 and is available through Amazon India. I was lucky enough to experience it and have already spent more than 10 days now. So, here is my whole experience with the Poly Studio P5 on the wall.
- Exceptional camera optics: The Poly Studio P5 is a 1080p HD webcam with microphone optimized for video conferencing. An 80-degree field of view frames you perfectly, so it’s perfect for video conferencing calls, as a streaming camera, or for distance learning. Vivid color rendition and clarity make your presence impactful on video calls from your home office or personal workspace.
- Small and Mobile: Easy to set up with its tripod stand and monitor mount clamp, our streaming webcam is portable with a sturdy design that matches any aesthetic and works anywhere you need to stream video calls.
- Field of View: Frame yourself favorably – the HD webcam is optimized to show you and not too much of your surroundings. Maintain adequate lighting while working from home with automatic low-light technology. A built-in directional microphone focuses on your voice, not distracting noises. Designed to help you look your best, the Poly Studio P5 webcam is a must-have addition to your home office accessories.
- Poly Lens desktop app included: The Poly Studio P5 webcam is supported by an intuitive app that lets you customize your video settings for your unique environment and get helpful updates and tips. Maintain balance throughout the day with gentle reminders of health and wellness.
- Convenience: Improve security and privacy with the built-in privacy shutter, which prevents unintended image transmissions and gives you peace of mind. A built-in USB port on the back of the video conferencing camera simplifies the use of a Bluetooth headset or speaker and frees up ports on your computer. The detachable camera head provides the ability to view documents up close. Integrated USB-A cable. Tripod ready design. Works with Microsoft Teams (certified), Zoom (certified) and more.
In the box:
- Poly Studio P5
- paper works
Material and build:
The Poly Studio P5 is made entirely of hard plastic and comes in a gray color with many small dots on the body. It has a 1MP lens capable of capturing 1080p HD footage with autofocus. In the main unit, there is an LED fin and a microphone mesh on the top, and a privacy shutter controller is in the front part. The main webcam unit as well as the USB cable are attached freely with the clamp. Thus, it is possible to rotate the camera 360° without removing the camera from its place. The cable is long enough, allowing the Studio P5 to be placed in a wider area.
Finally, this webcam has an integrated USB port on the back. So you can easily combine other Poly accessories, for example Voyager 4320 UC, or any other accessory. This port is covered with a sliding piece.
In short, the build quality is top notch and the extra USB port makes more sense, especially for PCs with very few ports. USB-A connectivity is very good, however, a Type-C option may make this product more palatable.
The Poly Studio P5 is a USB webcam. So, no question of pairing. All you have to do is –
- Install the Poly Lens app on your device
- Place the webcam and plug in the USB
- Rotate the privacy shutter counterclockwise until you get a “tik” sound and the fin light turns white (the fin will turn green when you join a meeting/session)
- Adjust the image from the Controls section in the Poly Lens app, if necessary
You are now ready to join your meeting or session.
To note: Be sure to open the safety shutter properly. Otherwise, the Studio P5 will not start.
Overall, the installation process is smooth and easy. If you have already installed the Poly Lens app, the installation process won’t even take three minutes.
This is the main thing that we as users pay for – video quality. As I mentioned before, this Poly Studio P5 has a 1MP sensor to capture 1080p HD footage. I tested it in different lighting conditions keeping the default settings. The cam covers 80° of field. If not needed, it also provides up to 4X zoom function. At first, it takes a few seconds to fix the focus on me. Once done, it keeps me in the center of attention.
I tried this webcam in daylight, artificial lighting and low light conditions. In any case, he tried to maintain a natural tone. So, here are the three cases –
Day light – I was sitting by the window
Artificial light – It is completely under normal household lighting conditions
Low light – It is with very low lighting in the room
As you can see, the Studio P5 captures natural images in daylight. In full artificial lighting, a bit of noise is visible in dark areas, however, focus on me is fine. The performance is pretty solid for me in this case. In the dark, the noises increased. Another point is that a whitish tone is visible in both daylight and artificial lighting conditions, while a warm tone is present in low light conditions. This is adjustable from the Poly Lens app.
I haven’t compared the output with any other webcam, however, the output, Poly Studio P5, is the best for keeping your image in front of your colleagues or friends.
Studio P5 also offers the microphone function. It is able to focus on the voice of the person sitting in front of the webcam. You can listen to the test audio clip.
It captures and processes my voice loud and clear, however, the song playing next to my room also arrives. This is obvious because there is no noise cancellation. So, I have no complaints about that. The microphone is good to have as a backup setup.
Poly has the common Poly Lens software for all of its devices. This application helps to adjust image parameters such as sharpness, white balance, gamma, etc. Also, this is the tool you need to update firmware. The interface is quite simple, so no need to worry about it.
The Poly Studio P5 provides a standard video calling experience in all lighting conditions and comes with additional features such as a privacy shutter, directional microphone and USB port. In short, as I said before, this is the tool to keep your image in any video session.
The Poly Studio P5 is available in India through Amazon India at a price of INR 8,610. You can refer to the link below.
Buy link: https://amzn.to/35m4Wec
Read also : VOYAGER 4320 UC REVIEW: PREMIUMNESS REDEFINED FOR DESKTOP USERS