Perfect Gamecocks in Sunday Games
Colombia, South Carolina – The No. 49 South Carolina played an undefeated Sunday in their 7-0 win over Campbell and UNC Greensboro. The Gamecocks won each of their doubles matches and won all of the singles matches in straight sets.
“We started the doubles a bit off today, but the singles effort was solid,” the head coach said. Kevin Epley. “It’s good to get two wins heading into the SEC season. We’re looking forward to a tough week of progress before we leave for Texas.”
In the match against Campbell, Ayana Akli and Ana Cruz dominated in doubles. They quickly won 6-1 in first place to earn South Carolina’s first doubles victory.
The remaining doubles matches were hotly contested. In place No. 2, No. 24 Sarah Hamner and Misa Malkin won all other matches before entering a tie-break. From there, the freshman pair took off and sealed the doubles point with a 7-6(2) win. Play continued in the doubles match of the final which was also in a tiebreak. Megan Davies and Gracie Mulville took a 5-0 lead before winning the match in a 7-6(2) decision.
In singles, the match continued to move forward quickly. Malkin was the first to finish with an efficient 6-1, 6-2 win, securing the point with a backhand lob her opponent couldn’t return. Next to finish was No. 68 Elise Mills on court 4. She won the first set 6-2 and settled in to take the second set victory 6-0 with a powerful forehand down the line.
At the top of the roster, No. 1 Hamner had a short game against Rhona Cook. She took a 4-0 lead en route to the 6-2 first set result. With a midcourt forehand, she secured the win for the Gamecocks in a 6-2 second decision.
Play continued on the remaining courts. No. 74 Akli won 6-0 in her first set against Mialy Ranaivo, but the second set was hard fought. After trailing 3-5, Akli came back to win 7-5 and put the Gamecocks ahead 5-0.
In sixth place, Cruz quickly passed her opponent in both sets. She took the win 6-3, 6-0 to extend her winning streak to three. The last game to finish was on Court 3 with Davies. The first set was tied and ended in a tiebreaker, but Davies prevailed 7-6(1). She lost just one game in the second set to complete the 6-1 win and close the game 7-0 for South Carolina.
The Gamecocks took on UNC Greensboro in the second game of the day and quickly earned the doubles point with first-two wins. In the No. 2 spot, Mills and Lindsay Tulenko shut out their opponents 6-0. Not far behind were Cruz and Akli in the front row who, after losing the opener, won 6-1 to secure the doubles point. Kendal Sofa and Hamner’s game in third place was decided with the Gamecocks emerging victorious in a 6-3 decision.
In singles, No. 1 Hamner gave the Gamecocks a 2-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-1 result. The matches quickly came to a close thereafter, with the next point coming from Court 6. Mulville beat their opponent 6-0 in the first set before sealing the victory 6-3 in the second set.
Moments later, Malkin beat his opponent in fourth place. She scored the decision 6-0, 6-1 to help the Gamecocks stay unbeaten at home. The rest of the games went on with the next point coming from No. 74 Akli who won 6-1, 6-2.
The final two runs went to South Carolina on courts 3 and 5, respectively. Number 68 Mills continued her impressive spring with a 6-1, 6-3 victory. In the final game, Cruz clinched the 6-2, 6-0 victory to keep the Gamecocks perfect on the day.
South Carolina will be back in action on Friday when it travels to No. 7 Texas A&M for its first SEC game of the season.
#49 South Carolina beats. Campbell 7-0
Doubles (order of arrival: 1, 2*, 3)
1. Ayana Akli / Ana Cruz (SC) def. Rhona Cook / Anna-Marie Kopecka (CAM) 6-1
2. No. 24 Sarah Hamner / Misa Malkin (SC) def. Marissa Pennings / Mialy Ranaivo (CAM) 7-6 (2)
3. Megan Davies / Gracie Mulville (SC) def. Sandra Gines / Mariana Ossa (CAM) 7-6 (2)
Singles (order of arrival: 5, 4, 1*, 2, 6, 3)
1. No. 1 Sarah Hamner (SC) def. Rhona Cook (CAM) 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 74 Ayana Akli (SC) def. Mialy Ranaivo (CAM) 6-0, 7-5
3. Megan Davies (SC) def. Marissa Pennings (CAM) 7-6 (1), 6-1
4. No. 68 Elise Mills (SC) def. Sandra Gines (CAM) 6-2, 6-0
5. Misa Malkin (SC) def. Anna-Marie Kopecka (CAM) 6-1, 6-2
6. Ana Cruz (SC) def. Mariana Ossa (CAM) 6-3, 6-2
#49 South Carolina beats. UNC Greensboro 7-0
Doubles (order of arrival: 2, 1*, 3)
1. Ayana Akli / Ana Cruz (SC) def. Erika Barquero / Ariana Chan (UNCG) 6-1
2. Elise Mills / Lindsay Tulenko (SC) def. McCollough Perry / Juliana Craft (UNCG) 6-0
3. Kendal sofa / Sarah Hamner (SC) def. Hannah Mitchell / Olivia Gallagher (UNCG) 6-3
Singles (order of arrival: 1, 6, 4*, 2, 3, 5)
1. No. 1 Sarah Hamner (SC) def. Erika Barquero (UNCG) 6-2, 6-1
2. No. 74 Ayana Akli (SC) def. Ariana Chan (UNCG) 6-1, 6-2
3. No. 68 Elise Mills (SC) def. Juliana Craft (UNCG) 6-1, 6-3
4. Misa Malkin (SC) def. Eugenia Camacho (UNCG) 6-0, 6-1
5. Ana Cruz (SC) def. Hannah Mitchell (UNCG) 6-2, 6-0
6. Gracie Mulville (SC) def. Olivia Gallagher (UNCG) 6-0, 6-3