How to Move Your Spotify Playlists to Apple Music
(Pocket-lint) – Whatever your reasons for wanting to switch services, whether it’s because artists are leaving the service, Spotify choosing to stand behind particular podcast hosts, or Apple Music offering more features than you want, you can take your music with you. In fact, the same is true if you go for another provider like YouTube Music or Tidal. The process generally works for all popular providers.
The process differs slightly depending on whether you want to transfer using your iPhone, Android phone, or a web browser. But whichever way you want to do it, there’s a method to make sure you can keep all the playlists you’ve painstakingly collected over the years.
There is one caveat, however: the three services we found to offer this service do not do so for free. At least not if you have a massive number of songs to wade through.
Transfer Spotify to Apple Music on Android
The easiest method to use when transferring your playlists from Spotify to Apple Music on your Android phone is to use an app called Free Your Music. (It is also available on iOS).
It should be noted that Free Your Music is a free trial, but will only allow you to transfer 100 songs without paying. If you want to transfer more than that, you will need to purchase the premium in-app purchase.
It’s available as a one-time purchase of £10.99, or you can take out a quarterly, annual or lifetime subscription. Which you choose depends on whether you think you need to use it more than once. The single option is all you need if you are only doing one big mega transfer.
- Download your music for free – on the Play Store (Where App Store for iPhone)
- Open the app and select your source – in this case ‘Spotify’
- Log in to your Spotify account
- Select your destination – choose ‘Apple Music’
- Sign in now with your Apple ID
- Select the playlists or saved albums you want to transfer – tap “Start Transfer”
However, this is not the only solution. You can also use our “on the web” tutorial below. It costs less, but obviously isn’t as convenient since you have to use a browser to do it.
On iPhone, iPad and Mac
One app that was originally free – but isn’t anymore – is called SongShift. We have already shown you how to use it to switch from Apple Music to Spotify on iPhone, and the process is pretty much the same, although in reverse. There are different subscription levels for SongShift. You can pay £34.99 for lifetime use, £4.99 per month or £19.49 per year.
- Download SongShift for iPhone – from the App Store
- Tap the ‘+’ to start the transfer process
- Select ‘Setup source’ – now choose Spotify and Album, Playlist or Song from the pop-up menu
- Now choose the playlists you want to transfer and tap “Done”.
- Where it says “Create a new playlist” on the next screen, tap the green edit button that looks like a pencil
- Choose ‘New Playlist’ and select Apple Music (or ‘+other’ then Apple Music if it’s not there)
- Press “continue”
- Select “I’m done”
Now all you have to do is wait for the processing to finish and confirm the matches, then wait for the transfer to finish.
On the Web
As mentioned, there is a useful web transfer tool. It’s called Soundiiz and is quite simple to use. Again, it’s not free. You can transfer a playlist without paying, but more and you will have to subscribe to the premium service for £4.50 per month. If you only need it once, register and immediately cancel the subscription when it is finished.
- Head toward Soundiiz.com – log in/create an account
- Click on Spotify and select “Connect”
- Click on Apple Music and select “Connect”
- Find “transfer” and click/tap it
- Now choose what you want to transfer in the pop-up window
- Choose Spotify as the source, then choose the playlists you want to transfer – click continue
- In ‘Configure your playlist’, modify your title and your description then click on ‘save the configuration’
- Choose the tracks from this playlist to transfer on the next screen – click “confirm”
- Choose Apple Music as destination
Now wait for the transfer to take place. The time it takes depends on how many tracks you’re trying to transfer to the new service.
What about other music services?
The good thing about all of these transfer services is that they support just about every major music subscription service. This includes Tidal, Deezer, YouTube Music and many more. So if you are looking to transfer between other services, you can use the same methods listed above, just choose different sources and destinations.
How to Downgrade iOS and Keep Your Data
This handy guide could save you from data loss.
If you don’t know which music service is the best, discover our comparison.
To have Malwarebyte Premium today to go beyond antivirus and stop worrying about online threats. Available on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Chrome, Malwarebytes secures your devices, files, and privacy 24/7. Real-time protection uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to protect you from online threats, even emerging threats no one has ever seen before. Malwarebytes effortlessly crushes adware and potentially unwanted programs that slow down your devices. The all-in-one Cyber Protection Dashboard highlights your real-time security status, so you’re not kept up to date with what’s happening with your devices. Start protecting your devices today with Malwarebytes.
Written by Cam Bunton.